Monday, April 7, 2008

A second victim is asking for compensation from the Johor Baru City Council (MBJB)

Source : The Star, Tuesday, April 8























JOHOR BAHRU: A second victim is asking for compensation from the Johor Baru City Council (MBJB), claiming that he broke a leg after falling into an uncovered manhole during the last Chingay festival.
This comes just days after MBJB said it would compensate the family of grandmother Koh Siang Lee, 63, who died on March 10, after succumbing to injuries suffered when she fell into a drain through the manhole during the same Chingay parade.
The second victim, food stall owner, Tan Kim Teck, 53, said he had been following the festival procession along Jalan Yahya Awal here on Feb 27 at about 8pm along with his family members when he fell into a metre-deep manhole.
Tan broke his left leg and was warded at the Sultanah Aminah Hospital here.
“I received stitches and my leg was put in a cast. I was discharged after four days in the hospital but I am unable to run my stall because of my injury,” he said.
Tan explained that he made about RM3,000 monthly from his business but he has lost that source of income due to the incident.
“My expenses is about RM10,000 per month which include house, cars and other loan payments, which my grown children also pitch in to help.
“I hope MBJB can compensate for the damages as a result of their negligence,” he said at a press conference held by state DAP vice-chairman Norman Fernandez here yesterday.
Fernandez said Tan was asking for compensation for loss of income and injuries suffered in the incident.
“We hope the council does something about these exposed manholes before more people are injured,” he said.
Meanwhile, Johor Baru Mayor Datuk Mohd Naim Nasir said he would check with the council’s legal department before taking action.
“I sympathise with the victims. We will not take the matter lightly,” he said.

No comments: